For Immediate Release: State Assemblyman Das Williams (D-35th District) draws fire for opposing CA Trust Act, supporting S-Comm
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Todo Poder al Pueblo Collective
Tel. (805) 328-4763
State Assemblyman Das Williams (D-35th District) draws fire for opposing CA Trust Act, supporting S-Comm
Saturday, July 14, 2012
Community organizations call for July 28 protest at
Assemblyman’s offices in Oxnard and Santa Barbara
(Oxnard, CA) Assemblyman Das Williams (D-35th District) is walking a tightrope among his constituents in this sensitive election year after provoking outrage among migrant justice advocates and community groups by signaling his opposition to AB1081 (Ammiano), the CA Trust Act, prior to its upcoming review by the Assembly. Williams also expressed support for Secure Communities (S-Comm), a notorious program by the Department of Homeland Security’s Immigration and Customs Enforcement (DHS-ICE) agency which mandates the cooperation of local law enforcement with ICE. Following pressure by the Oxnard-based Todo Poder al Pueblo Collective (www.TodoPoderAlPueblo.org) and other community members, however, Williams appears to be in damage control mode.
Dubbed the “nation’s first ‘anti-Arizona law’” in reference to Arizona’s harsh Senate Bill 1070, the CA Trust Act has been making headway at a rapid pace in the State legislature, gaining the approval of the State Senate by a vote of 21-12 on July 5, 2012. It has been greeted warmly by civil rights organizations such as the ACLU of Southern California, the National Day Labor Organizing Network (NDLON), the CA Immigration Policy Center (CIPC), and the Los Angeles, CA-based Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights (CHIRLA).
A press release issued by the office of Assemblyman Tom Ammiano (D-13th Assembly) on July 5 stated that “7 in 10 of those deported under S-Comm in the state were deported with either no conviction or for minor offenses. In the worst instances, S-Comm is responsible for placing victims of domestic violence in deportation proceedings and deterring parents from reporting crimes committed against their children.”
However, in an interview with KEYT on July 6, Williams stated that his office “investigated it and we could not find anyone who had committed an infraction or a misdemeanor that had been deported…I don’t feel like I should be voting for a law to stop California’s participation in Secure Communities.”
The Todo Poder al Pueblo Collective immediately blasted the comments. Elliott Gabriel, a member of the collective, stated that “S-Comm has now led to more deportations per year than at any other time in enforcement history,” and that given the statistics cited by lawmakers such as Ammiano and gleaned from publically-available data, “ it is a statistical impossibility that Das is telling the truth. “
“[We] were born at night, but not last night,” Gabriel added.
Todo Poder also released a series of satirical graphics poking fun at Assemblyman Williams’ complacency regarding deportations, instead advocating for inconsequential causes such as “International Surfing Day.”
Todo Poder also cited his previous reliance on Latino and undocumented communities during past electoral efforts, and his May 1, 2010 statement that “[Arizona’s SB1070] legalizes that police can stop someone just based on race and an accent.” S-COMM has led to a cascading amount of discretionary arrests and detentions, leading to charges that it is in practice all too similar to Arizona’s SB1070.
Oxnard School District Trustee Denis O’Leary also remarked, “Das has been disappointing. He talked a good talk to whoever he was in front of during his campaign.”
On Friday, July 13, Williams responded to community members’ concerns in private emails, explaining that “[AB1081] has been amended since I last had the opportunity to vote on it. I will take a look at the new bill and the available data on this issue before voting on this in August.”
The Todo Poder al Pueblo Collective, in a response to Williams, stated that “S-Comm represents an example of living, breathing legislative aggression against the undocumented communities who comprise a major portion of our [District],” adding that “anxiety in our communities regarding Police-[I.C.E.] collaboration is purely natural.”
The Todo Poder al Pueblo Collective has called for a protest to be held in front of Williams’ office at the Oxnard Transportation Center on the corner of East Fourth St. and Oxnard blvd. at 12PM on Saturday, July 28. The action will be held in conjunction with a nationwide call to action for protests against Arizona’s SB1070. There will also be an protest at Das Williams’ office in Santa Barbara at 101 W. Anapamu Street.
The Todo Poder al Pueblo Collective is an independent, grassroots formation organizing for the self-defense and empowerment of our community as a response towards the escalation of repressive measures aimed at migrantes, families and workers.
El Colectivo Todo Poder al Pueblo es una formación independiente de base organizando por la auto-defensa y la capacitación de nuestra comunidad en respuesta al escalamiento de medidas represivas dirigidas a los migrantes, familias y obreros.
- Radio Pacifica Evening News 4/17/13 – California Strawberry Festival, Springs Fire Oxnard
- Thandisizwe Chimurenga: Closing Keynote at “Justice For Our Communities” Police Brutality CA Statewide Conference in Oxnard, 4/27/13
- Agricultural industry shows total disregard for human life in Oxnard // Industria agrícola muestra desprecio total por la vida humana en Oxnard
- GRACIAS A TODOS! Últimas Noticias: Post-Conferencia Estatal de Justicia para Nuestras Comunidades! Familias Organizando para Resistir la Brutalidad Policial y el Abuso
- THANK YOU ALL! Update: Post-Statewide Conference on Justice for Our Communities! Families Organizing to Resist Police Brutality and Abuse
- Declaración del Colectivo Todo Poder al Pueblo: “¡Justicia para Nuestras Comunidades!” Conferencia Estatal
- Todo Poder al Pueblo Statement : “Justice For Our Communities!” Statewide Conference
- Oxnard, CA Statewide Resistance Conference – Program, Workshops, Schedule
- HISTÓRICA CONFERENCIA ESTATAL SOBRE DERECHOS CIVILES SE LLEVARÁ ACABO EN OXNARD, CALIFORNIA EL 27 DE ABRIL 2013 ¡Justicia para nuestras comunidades! ¡Familias Organizando para resistir el abuso y la brutalidad policiaca!
- IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Historic Statewide Civil Rights Conference to Take Place in Oxnard, CA 4/27/2013: Justice for Our Communities! Families Organizing to Resist Police Brutality and Abuse
- Hon. Cruz Reynoso letter to Oxnard College Pres. Dr. Richard Duran re: April 27 Police Brutality civil rights conference
- Statewide Conference: List of Hotels and Campgrounds (Ventura County)
- Justice for Our Communities – Statewide Conference! ¡Justicia para Nuestras Comunidades – Conferencia Estatal!
- Oxnard Police Officer, “Basurero” Kyle Brantner, Eats His Own Hat – VCStar coverage
- Cesar Chavez workers’ march, Oxnard: “Obreros y Campesinos, Unidos Venceremos!” Todo Poder al Pueblo contingent
- PLATFORM: United Front for Justice and Dignity // PROGRAMA: Frente Unido para la Justicia y la Dignidad
- Todo Poder al Pueblo entrega carta a Fiscal del Condado de Ventura Re: Homicidio Robert Ramírez
- Open letter to Ventura County DA re: Robert Ramirez homicide at Oxnard Police Department’s hands
- Oxnard Police harassment, Colonia: “Want me to start jacking people up? Call some friends over?”
- Mother speaks out on the Oxnard PD officer-committed homicide of Robert Ramirez on night of 6/23/12
- Official Complaint of Officer Kyle Brantner, OPD / Denuncia oficial del policía Kyle Brantner, OPD
- Oxnard Police Department: Release the names of Alfonso Limon’s killers!
- Oxnard PD Officer Kyle Brantner, implicated in Robert Ramirez homicide, describes self as “Trash Collector,” “Cleaning up Garbage”
- VC Star: Mother sues Port Hueneme police for fatally shooting her son
- VC Star – Oxnard police release the names of officers involved in August fatal shooting (Michael Mahoney)
- The OPD Murderers of Robert Ramirez (Photos)// Los asesinos del OPD de Robert Ramirez (Fotos)
- “No Justice, No Peace”: The People of Oxnard Continue to Gather Strength in the Fight Against Police Brutality
- “Sin Justicia no Hay Paz”: El Pueblo de Oxnard Continúa Reuniendo Fuerzas en la Lucha en Contra de la Brutalidad Policial
- ALL VIDEOS: 10/23/12 OXNARD Members of the community and Colectivo Todo Poder Al Pueblo spoke at the City Council meeting following O22: PROTEST to Stop Police Brutality
- VENTURA COUNTY STAR – Oxnard wrestles with tension over police shooting
- VENTURA COUNTY STAR: Oxnard crowd protests officer-involved shootings
- VENTURA COUNTY STAR – Authorities continue to investigate Oxnard police shooting
- OXNARD October 22: PROTEST to Stop Police Brutality/22 de Octubre: Protesta para Parar la Brutalidad Policial Public Event
- THE CA TRUST ACT AND THE BATTLE FOR JUSTICE FOR WORKERS, CAMPESINOS AND UNDOCUMENTED RAZA
- VCReporter – A victim of police brutality speaks
- People’s justice declares ‘GUILTY’ VERDICT: Letter presented @Oxnard City Council 9.25.2012
- VERDICT / VEREDICTO – People’s justice declares ‘GUILTY’ / Justicia del pueblo declara ‘CULPABLE’
- CORRAN LA VOZ: OXNARD 9/19/12: People’s Tribunal / Tribunal del Pueblo
- ALL VIDEOS: 9/11/12, COLONIA TO DOWNTOWN OXNARD: March for Justice Against Police Brutality // Marcha por Justicia Contra la Brutalidad Policial
- “Police have said they did not strike Ramirez…”
- Radio Pacifica Evening News 4/17/13 - California Strawberry Festival, Springs Fire Oxnard wp.me/p1QT77-gz 4 days ago
- Thandisizwe Chimurenga: Closing Keynote at "Justice For Our Communities" Police Brutality CA Statewide Conference in Oxnard, 4/27/13… 1 week ago
- GRACIAS A TODOS! Últimas Noticias: Post-Conferencia Estatal de Justicia para Nuestras Comunidades! Familias Organizando para Resistir la… 3 weeks ago
- THANK YOU ALL! Update: Post-Statewide Conference on Justice for Our Communities! Families Organizing to Resist Police Brutality and Abuse… 3 weeks ago
- Declaración del Colectivo Todo Poder al Pueblo: "¡Justicia para Nuestras Comunidades!" Conferencia Estatal wp.me/p1QT77-fz 3 weeks ago
- Todo Poder al Pueblo Statement : "Justice For Our Communities!" Statewide Conference wp.me/p1QT77-fx 3 weeks ago
- Oxnard, CA Statewide Resistance Conference - Program, Workshops, Schedule wp.me/p1QT77-fq 4 weeks ago
- Oxnard Police Officer, "Basuro" Kyle Brantner, Eats His Own Hat - VCStar coverage wp.me/p1QT77-fk 1 month ago
- HISTÓRICA CONFERENCIA ESTATAL SOBRE DERECHOS CIVILES SE LLEVARÁ ACABO EN OXNARD, CALIFORNIA EL 27 DE ABRIL 2013 ¡Justicia para nuestras… 1 month ago
- IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Historic Statewide Civil Rights Conference to Take Place in Oxnard, CA 4/27/2013: Justice for Our Communities! Families… 1 month ago
- Hon. Cruz Reynoso letter to Oxnard College Pres. Dr. Richard Duran re: April 27 Police Brutality civil rights conference… 1 month ago
- Statewide Conference: List of Hotels and Campgrounds (Ventura County) wp.me/p1QT77-dF 1 month ago
- Justice for Our Communities! Families Organizing to Resist Police Brutality and Abuse (CA Statewide Conference) / ¡Justicia para Nuestras… 2 months ago
- Cesar Chavez workers' march, Oxnard: "Obreros y Campesinos, Unidos Venceremos!" Todo Poder al Pueblo contingent wp.me/p1QT77-d1 2 months ago
- PLATFORM: United Front for Justice and Dignity // PROGRAMA: Frente Unido para la Justicia y la Dignidad wp.me/p1QT77-cR 2 months ago
- Todo Poder al Pueblo entrega carta a Fiscal del Condado de Ventura Re: Homicidio Robert Ramírez wp.me/p1QT77-cO 3 months ago
- Open letter to Ventura County DA re: Robert Ramirez homicide at Oxnard Police Department’s hands wp.me/p1QT77-cJ 3 months ago
- RT @favianna: Any path to citizenship must begin with an end to deportations. This country has seen an "enforcement-first twitter.com/rx ... 3 months ago
- End the separation of families NOW! Place a moratorium on deportations! #Obama #pendejo #1.6milliondeported 3 months ago
- NOW: serving great food @ fundraiser! Come support! 644 S. "C" st., #Oxnard 5-8pm! #todopoder805 #FTP #policebrutality #migrante_rights 4 months ago